This is best served over white rice with broccoli, topped with sesame seeds and green onions.
- 2-3 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Scant 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of Chinese 5 spice
- Rinse all chicken thighs and pat dry.
- Brown chicken in a lightly greased cast iron skillet over medium-high (7) heat. Repeat in batches until all chicken is done.
- Put browned chicken thighs on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, add all marinade ingredients except cornstarch to a pot. Heat over medium-low (3) until simmering.
- Once marinade is simmering, remove 2-3 Tbsp. of marinade and mix with cornstarch. Once cornstarch mixture is smooth, add back to marinade.
- Simmer for ~1 minute until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Once chicken has rested, cut into strips.
- Add chicken pieces to pot with marinade. Simmer for ~2-3 minutes, until heated through and sauce has thickened.