The idea for cinnamon rolls came to me when I was watching Tasty videos on YouTube. I don’t eat or make desserts too often, but I decided to treat myself. However, just like everything else, making a big batch of dessert never really works out for me. Luckily for me, I found a great small batch cinnamon rolls recipe via Pinterest. In this post, I’ll discuss my experience making them.
This recipe was not only the perfect size, but it was also mostly vegan. That made my life a lot easier, since I didn’t have to swap any ingredients besides coconut oil for the butter. I skipped the icing in favor of my own small batch icing recipe, but I’m sure it would’ve worked just fine.
Every time I make someone else’s recipe, there are a few things I want to note to use for next time. These are the changes I made:
- Used spelt flour instead of all purpose. This didn’t change anything about the making process, except I didn’t need the additional 2-3 Tbsp. of flour for the kneading. The overall result may taste a little healthier or be less cakey, but I am absolutely fine with that.
- Subbed coconut oil for butter in all instances.
- Subbed 1/4 c. coconut sugar for the 1/3 c. brown sugar in the filling. I wanted it less sweet, since I knew I would be adding an icing.
- Topped each cinnamon roll with ~2 tsp. milk just before baking. This was a trick I found on another cinnamon roll recipe. I’m honestly not sure if it did anything in my case, but I would try it again.
- Baked in 2 loaf pans rather than an 8×8 baking dish. I’m sure it would work either way.
Other than my brief notes, this small batch cinnamon rolls recipe is incredible as it is. I was so excited to find it, I couldn’t believe it was so close to what I was looking for. If I ever host people or need to make a quick but small breakfast or dessert, this will be the recipe I’ll be using.
Have you ever made cinnamon rolls? What is the best way? Let me know in the comments!