- 1 c. whole grain millet
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 c. milk (optional)
- 2-3 c. water, as needed
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
- Soak millet and dates in plenty of water and a splash of apple cider vinegar for 8 hours or overnight. Once soaked, drain soaking water.
- Add millet and dates to blender, along with milk (if using) and water. Blend until smooth.
- Add blended mixture to a pot and heat over medium (3-4) heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently for the first 5 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Allow to simmer for 25-30 more minutes. Stir often to prevent the bottom from burning, adding water, as needed. Remove from heat and serve.
The porridge is done cooking when the texture is smooth and is no longer grainy.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, add porridge to a pot on medium-low heat. Whisk in a few Tbsp. of water/milk, and simmer until desired temperature is reached.