- leftover fish bones, gills removed
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 medium carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or champagne
- 8 cups filtered water
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, thyme, garlic pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. salt, to taste
- Dice the onion, carrot, and celery. Saute in oil until soft, ~5 minutes. Add seasonings, then stir for another minute.
- Add fish bones, wine, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Add water, and return to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and salt to taste. Allow to cool, then store in the fridge.
Fish stock doesn't keep for long. Keep in the fridge for 2-3 days, then freeze for up to 2 months.